The hype of turkey and stuffing for Thanksgiving and the white winter promise of Christmas has come and gone. February has arrived along with its long days of cold and on and off again snowfalls. We are longing for the days of green trees, warm sun and barbecues. Until then, we are stuck in the “blah” state.
How does one overcome the feeling?
1. We know it’s cold but take a brisk walk outside, preferably when the sun is out. Getting that fresh (cold) air in your lungs will give you the energy you need to get through the day.
2. Change the background of your computer. If you have a beautiful snowy background, that may be secretly keeping you in a funk. Change it to a beautiful tropical island beach or a sunny desert. Seeing warm weather will trick your mind into believing you are warmer.
3. Plan fun indoor activities. Winter is the time to visit museums, go to indoor sports games and see movies. Just because it is cold, doesn’t mean you have to stay home.
4. Change up your diet. Limit coffee and sugars. Eat fruits, veggies and protein to keep your energy up and positive.
5. Don’t forget to exercise. Take a hot yoga class or move it in a Zumba class. These classes will make you sweat and release that stress from the lack of sun.
These little tips could increasingly improve your mood and make you work harder to get to the finish line: Summer. Get a family member or a co-worker to take on these challenges with you so you stay accountable.